In Adobe Reader (aka. Acrobat Reader), it is relatively simple to set up a low eye-strain environment for reading. The magic happens with the accessibility options.
To set up the accessibiliy options
- Go to the Preferences dialog box, either with Ctrl-K or from the menu by Edit->Preferences.
- Select Accessibility from the list on the left.
- Enable Replace Document Colors (check-box)
- Select Use High-Contrast colors from the radio-selection
- From the High-contrast color combination select Yellow text on black.
- Goto Full-screen mode, either with Ctrl-L or View->Full Screen
- Use Fit-Visible mode, either with Ctrl-3 or View->Fit Visible