www.flickr.com

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Python Tip: Make Python & Emacs Play Nice on Windows

I've discovered that making Python 2.4.4 work well under Emacs 22 on Windows has a few speed bumps. I'm not sure if these problems apply to other combinations of versions, but they may. Here's a list of things I had to do to make for a happy working environment.

To Run Python in Emacs
To Run Using Pychecker
  • Download the pychecker package
  • Decompress it and go to the extracted folder in a Command Prompt
  • In that folder, run the command python setup.py install
  • Use C-c C-v to run the python code loaded in the current buffer with pychecker
Unresolved Problems (I'm Working on These, Be Patient)
  • It seems that the debugger (pdb) is set up differently with Python 2.4.4 under Windows than other configurations. Consequently, Emacs' calls to pdb are all wrong.
  • When the Python interpreter is loaded into Emacs, it appears to be in a text-only mode. Running programs with graphics does not seem to work.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever get the python debugger working under emacs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I've never found the time to investigate that one further.

    Since it's been a long time since I've used Windows for anything, I don't think I'll likely return to that problem anyways.

    ReplyDelete